Instagram

Saturday, August 30, 2014

Do your thing

Today's topic is to list some of my regrets and give my thoughts on them. To be honest this topic seems pretty depressing so I'm twisting it just a little bit. I personally think that living a life with regret is the first way to be unhappy with yourself. Guilt and regret are things that hold you down and keep you from improving, and if anything, those things I've regretted doing have fueled me to become a better person and have taught me the most valuable lessons. As of right now I don't have any huge regrets in my life, but I have learned so many things from my past mistakes so I'm just gonna talk about a few of those life lessons. This might seem super cliché, but I hope this post might help or apply to some of you.

1. Do not force things! If it is meant to be, it will happen. 
This lesson has been drilled into my brain since day one; my dad has always told me these exact words. I definitely have forgotten to live by them sometimes, and those were times where I was the most stressed and unhappy. Whether it had to do with a boy I liked, trying to find a job, or having problems with a friend, reciting these words in my head have always brought me so much comfort and ease. I choose to put my trust in a higher power, which really helps me believe that in the end everything will be okay as long as I am working hard and giving my best effort in everything I do. So props to my dad for teaching me my #1 rule in the game of life. And since I'm such a daddy's girl, here's a picture of us:

2. Don't let other people control your mind and feelings.
I had always heard this and just kind of brushed it off. We might all feel a little guilty of blaming others for how we feel or behave, I know I used to have a tendency to think that people were against me and there was no way to control what I was feeling. Just this past semester I took a religion class and my professor was absolutely amazing. He always stressed the idea that it is so important to have control over your own life despite the way you are treated. It is so easy to let someone anger you, and it is so easy to just treat them how they treat you. He would always say, "Act, do not be acted upon." To me this means that no matter how someone treats you, if you are kind and loving toward that person; only you have control. Reacting out of anger gives someone else control and makes it harder and harder to live your life according to your conditions.


3. The more you give the more you get.
Super cliché right?! But really, it is so true! Karma, you reap what you sow, what goes around comes around, whatever helps you understand it better. I have noticed that the better I treat someone or the harder I work, the more I acknowledge when someone treats me well or is working hard. Being the best version of yourself and giving back has always helped me appreciate when people do the same for me. You never know how much happiness you can bring someone just by striking up a random conversation, asking someone about their day or helping with your groceries. (So cheesy I know, forgive me!)

4. You don't always need to explain yourself!
Being a young person in college, even though I go to a religious school, there are always people being critical and trying to influence me to do things I don't want to. It doesn't even have to be anything major, but it is important to feel comfortable with who you are the decisions you make. You should never feel ashamed or embarrassed to do what makes you happy. If you don't want to do something for the sake of just not wanting to, if someone needs you to justify yourself, odds are they don't even deserve your explanation. 



No comments:

Post a Comment